Stitching + mixed media layout | American Crafts DT


Hello dear Ladies! It's ‘Stitching’ week on the American Crafts blog, and I’m bringing you a new layout created with the gorgeous Field Notes collection.
This time my inspiration came from the ‘Collect moments’ sentiment from the sticker sheet. This title brought me to our unforgettable summer memories and a favorite photo of my sister-in-law and me. Here is the layout I created:


I’ve found a big globe cut file that I cut out from white cardstock. I spent some time piercing holes around the globe and then did a chain link stitch through the holes using several shades of green and blue thread. But this stitched detail is not the only one I added to my layout! I also add cross stitching when I adhered the title around the globe, the stitching helped me to hold in place the stickers.


Then I got messy! I rarely use acrylic paint on my layouts, but this time I wanted to push myself out of my comfort zone. I love the beautiful shades of pink, mint and yellow in Vicki’s acrylic paint sets, and wanted to use them all on my background. I mixed the acrylic paints with matte acrylic gel medium, this makes the paint smoother and a little bit transparent. I then grabbed a white cardstock from Vicki’s mixed media art paper pad and started to paint big splashes all over the paper. To be honest, I didn’t know exactly what was I doing, I just went with the flow… but I think you can’t go wrong with those beautiful colors!  


Once it dried, I adhered the globe to the background using foam tape. The Field Notes collection is jam-packed with beautiful flower die-cuts, and I couldn’t resist using them all for embellishing my page. I bent up the edges of the flowers and layered them under the globe.


I placed the photo on the right side of the globe. I then created two clusters using journaling cards and die-cuts and added cardstock stickers under the photo and around the stitching.


Here is another look at all the awesome texture and dimension from the layering.


I hope this gives some fun ideas to try on your next layout! It’s so much fun creating your own background with mixed media stuff! Give it a go next time! Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful scrappy weekend!



Supplies: Field Notes Collection – Among the wildflowers (348102) / Choose to shine (348104) / Die – cuts (346543) / Puffy stickers (346540) / Multi chipboard stickers (346541) / Chipboard stickers (346542) / acrylic paint (343904 and 343906)

No comments:

Post a Comment